Registration Deadline: May 26, 2020
Mandatory Orientation: May 28, 2020 (6pm)
This course is a 186 hour State Bureau of EMS approved training program, which is based on the National EMS Education Standards. Applicants may apply for Louisiana certification after becoming a Nationally Registered EMT. At the successful completion of this training program and required testing, the entry level EMT will be able to: evaluate the patient’s condition, either medical or trauma, and provide the appropriate assessment based treatment, which includes patient packing and handling designed to minimize patient discomfort and prevent further injury. EMTs are trained in the use of AEDs and the multi-lumen airway.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must have high school diploma, or a G.E.D.
- Must demonstrate 12th grade reading level for a standardized proficiency exam approved by the Bureau of EMS: Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE), or a College Degree. In the Baton Rouge area, testing can be obtained from the Adult Learning Center: Telephone: 225/ 226-7631.
- Must provide a statement from your physician (less than six months old) attesting to physical ability of student to perform duties of EMT and a current immunization status as recommended by the Office of Public Health; in addition to immunization status, must provide documentation of:
- Hepatitis B immunization or eclination form stating refusal to take immunization series (or may be in the process of completing the immunization series).
- T.B. testing within last 6 months.
- Free from communicable disease.
- May not have a record of felony conviction (or must have had their conviction reviewed by the National Registry, the Bureau of EMS and EMS Certification Commission).
- Please Note: The applicant must also agree to an investigation by the sponsor ing agency to verify these facts if the agency sees fit to initiate such an investigation.
- May not have physical or psychological dependence to any substance other than those recognized as therapeutic treatments for valid medical conditions for which they are currently under the care of a physician.
- May not be enrolled in any EMT training program if he/she has been dismissed from any other EMS training program for reasons other than academic failure within two years prior to the start of the current program.
- Basic Life Support (BLS), either BLS for Healthcare Providers by the American Heart Association or Professional Rescuer BLS by the American Red Cross is a prerequisite. The student must be verified at the provider level prior to entering the course. BLS as a co-requisite (obtaining BLScertification during the course) is no longer acceptable.
- Proof of health insurance is required.
- Must have tablet or laptop. Smart-Phones DO NOT SUBSTITUTE
Monday, July 13 at 8:30am
More dates through July 29, 2020
Tuesday, July 14 at 8:30am
Wednesday, July 15 at 8:30am
Thursday, July 16 at 8:30am
Friday, July 17 at 8:30am
Monday, July 20 at 8:30am
Tuesday, July 21 at 8:30am
Wednesday, July 22 at 8:30am
Thursday, July 23 at 8:30am
Friday, July 24 at 8:30am
Monday, July 27 at 8:30am
Fire and Emergency Training Institute
6868 Nicholson Drive